Many biotech stocks are enjoying large gains Monday, although some are on no real breaking news. Here is a look at some notable gainers:
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: AMLN) up $1.39 to $28.97, a 5% increase. The 52-week range is $23.75 to $53.25.
- Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ: BIIB) up nearly $3.00, a 5% increase to $61.94. Carl Icahn on CNBC said today he is going to stay after the company. The 52-week range is $43.43 to $84.75.
- Cephalon Inc. (NASDAQ: CEPH) up a modest 1% to $65.35. Last Thursday, they received FDA approval for Treanda, a treatment for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The 52-week high is $84.83.
- Cytokinetics, Incorporated (NASDAQ: CYTK) up over 2% to $3.49. Today the company announced positive results from Phase IIa trials of cardiac myosin activator drug CK-1827452 for patients with stable heart failure.
- Onyx Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ONXX) up $1.94 to $29.36, over 7% up. The 52-week range is $23.73 to $61.18
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: REGN) up $2.21 to $19.86, a 12% increase on the day. The 52-week range is $13.55 to $28.74
- Theravance Inc. (NASDAQ: THRX) up $1.13 to $10.53, a 12% jump. The 52-week range is $9.37 to $36.98.
One biotech stock that isn’t enjoying the upswing is Cambrex Corp. (NYSE: CBM). The company hit a new low, down over 13% to $6.95 on news that UCB Groups Parkinson’s treatment, Neupro, is being recalled. Neupro uses their ingredient and the recall should impact earnings. First Analyis Sec downgraded the stock today.
March 24, 2008